Monday, February 14, 2011

Random Thoughts and Alcohol...

I can’t get Katie Perry’s song Firework out of my head. Evidently neither can Boyfriend because every time I think I’ve moved on and successfully forgot what comes after “Baby you’re a firework” he starts singing “let your colors burn” and I want to gorge my eyes out. Actually that really won’t help that much. Then I would just be blind, but still able to hear the lyrics and melody. It’s like this one time I was home for a holiday, it must have been a holiday because Sister was home too, and I couldn’t get Blind Mellon’s No Rain song out of my head. It drove everyone crazy! All weekend long I was singing, “all I can say is my life is really plain, I like watching the puddles gather rain”. Really that’s the only part of the song I know, so that’s all I sang ALL WEEKEND. I vividly remember my sister telling to shut up in the middle of an intense game of Monopoly.

An intense game of Monopoly… like there’s any other kind…

Also, last week I realized I’ve been wearing my earrings in two different holes. I usually only wear little studs to work, because I’m on the phone a lot and earrings can annoy me when the phone is held up to my ear or I have my head set on. All last week I just wore a tiny pair of fake diamond studs in my ears. On Sunday when I was putting on bigger earrings, I saw that on my left ear the tiny diamond stud was in my second hole, where it should have been, but on my right ear the earring was chilling in my first hole. All week I went around with lopsided looking earrings. I know this isn’t a huge thing, but this realization was the icing on the proverbial cake of the crappy 7 days I had last week.

Things that are not crappy...

Second Bar + Kitchen

It opened only 48 days ago and it’s already landed on my people’s bests lists in Austin. Boyfriend and I went to see for ourselves on Sunday for a late lunch. Billy Hankey and Adam Bryan are the in house drinkmasters and wow do they know how to make a drink. Moe, our waiter, spoke about them in awe when we asked about the cocktails and as soon as I put my first drink to my mouth I completely understood why. So many amazing and quirky flavors hit my tongue at different times. Sweet, then sour, then tangy… fabulous.

I started with the Congress GT made up of Cascade Hopped Gin, House Quinine, Grapefruit Bitters, and Seltzer. It was refreshing but had a slight spicy aftertaste. Boyfriend enjoyed the Pisco Sour which is Chilean Pisco, Lemon, Egg White, Amargo Bitters. Pisco Sour is a classic South American cocktail and Boyfriend and I both thought it was better than La Condessa’s Pisco Sour, which is saying a lot considering La Condessa’s bartenders make my most favorite cocktail EVER. We both loved that in between the layer of fluffy egg whites and the actual liquid drink, there was a thin layer of very fine crushed ice. So when you drank you got the frothy egg whites, creamy drink, and just a bit of crunchy ice. Perfection.


Then we ended with me drinking the Queen’s Park Swizzle which is Scarlet Ibis, Falernum, Lime and, Angostura Bitters. This was sweet when it first touched your tongue and then cooled off with a refreshing lime after taste. Boyfriend had the kinda girly looking Pilgrim’s Afternoon made up of White Port, Clear Creek Cranberry, Seltzer, and Citrus. We both agreed that we should have been drinking it outside at a horse racing event or something. It reminded me of the British drink Pimms, only a little fruitier, but very refreshing. Really, I could have downed about eight of those very quick.


We washed all of these drinks down with a pot of black truffle pomme frites with a big hunk of foie gras on top. (Sorry the foie gras isn’t in the picture, I stool the food photos from the website.) We also had the GREATEST FRIED PICKLES EVER!!! Buffalo Fried Pickles!!! They were like Buffalo wings and fried pickles all rolled into one. AMAZING!!! a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgCuvseQS47foXwNlNbekvhyphenhyphenaeRRvKwJMUwClbjQ-S4rz1rlKRVOUjkWZN9MWeWUbAV5s0uupqPcpDFy6twz2xYFyzq9e_D2Abz0XRJaZkxxd-tvAxdvHC2TV7PehaOcNFvnT5yyiVUMq83/s1600/trufflefries2.jpg">


(Thank God I worked out this weekend…)

5 comments:

  1. Now I am so hungry and soooo thirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. defintaly your kinda place jen, between the yummy cocktails and truffles on everything we will have to go next time you make it to Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book it Danno....I may have to come sooner rather than later! I promise I will try and find some time soon to make the trip down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will figure out how to make those pickles at home, I promise...

    ReplyDelete