Thursday, February 10, 2011

Being Lazy, How Mattresses Grow, and My Very Full Bed...

Do you ever have days where all you want to do is curl up in bed and never leave the warmth of your blankets? I probably shouldn’t be writing about this when in my last post I wrote about how I might have been bit by a bug named Lazy, but I’ve been having those “I never want to leave my bed days” all winter.

I think I need to explain my whole bed situation.

I have a full bed that my parents bought me when I graduated High School and I needed to furnish my first bedroom in my first apartment. This was the first “big” bed I had ever owned. Growing up the furniture in my room was an antique twin bed set my mother bought at an auction when I was in Kindergarten. Although she let me change the sheets and bedspread many times I never had the option of getting a bigger bed. My sister had a full bed, but that’s because her bedroom furniture had a full bed. For some reason it never crossed my mind to ask my parents why Sister got a big bed and never got to sleep comfortably with our dog because a twin bed was too small for the both of us.

Anyway, so in college I got my first full sized bed and it’s still around today. This means that it’s eight years old (which is CRAZY to think about) which means IT HAS DOUBLED ITS WEIGHT BECAUSE OF DEAD SKIN AND MICROSCOPIC BUGS!!! Y’all have seen that commercial right? Or did I just blow your mind/terrify you???

Okay so I just Googled that fact and technically your mattress doesn’t double its weight but… oh just read this…

“A mattress does gain weight as the years pass. It absorbs the fluids that your body excretes (oil and sweat) as well as dead skin cells. Another weight factor, is that the mattress becomes host to microscopic dust mites, which live in the dust and feed on the skin cells. These then perform their normal biologic functions, and their excrement adds its weight to the mattress as well. With all these factors, over 10 or so years, a 90 pound mattress can gain around 20 pounds.”

Thanks Anwsers.com (aka WikiAnswers)… I think.

I guess the point of writing about the crap that I sleep on every night is about a year ago Boyfriend and I decided we should start looking for a new bed. Which we did. We look around for a nice, new Queen sized bed, because as much as I love Boyfriend, dude that kid takes up A LOT of space when he sleeps. Then just before Thanksgiving Boyfriend’s Mom let us know that she had an extra mattress that was practically brand new and no place to put it. (It’s kinda a long story involving family members and fires and a house that had been in the family for over a century or something burning and thus totally 100% not funny, so I’m going to spare y’all the details.) When we went up to see Boyfriend’s family for Thanksgiving we came home with a brand new bed!

So, we switched out the beds putting the new mattress in our bedroom and leaning the old up in the tiny hallway while we tried to figure out what to do with it. I really didn’t want to get rid of it completely because one day I would like to live in a house larger than 800 square feet that also might have a second bedroom. That night we slept on the new mattress and well… didn’t have a good night. Neither of us slept well at all. The second night was the same. The third night might have been the same and it might have been worse, but all I remember was it was not good. These restless and uncomfortable nights kept coming until finally one day I broke down and told Boyfriend I wanted to sleep on the old mattress again.

It didn’t take a lot of convincing on my part.

But, we still had the problem of what to do with the other mattress. This was our solution… I know it’s crazy, but it really does work for us… at least right now. We’ve created this nook of warmth, coziness, and comfort with lots of mismatched pillows and our giant duvet. Oh, and that blue blanket from Ikea, my mom bought me that when I was moving into my first little efficiency and I LOVE IT! Seriously it was the best buy from Ikea ever! The arrangement of our two beds make things extra “nook like” because the side with the blue blanket (my side) is up against a wall. I feel like sleeping with my back against the wall is something I should have grown out of by now, but I don’t care. I still like having Boyfriend on one side and a pillow lined wall on the other.

Boyfriend says this double bed of extra comfort and coziness can’t last forever, but for right now it’s pretty damn nice.

Eventually I want this bed and Boyfriend said he would build it for me. I’ve never seen any of his bed making skills, but I look forward to witnessing them.

5 comments:

  1. I love that bed E! I'm scouting new bedroom sets, with a kind sized bed. I like to sleep diagonally, which bf won't let me do while he is in the bed too. So king it is. Plus Bailey is giant. The dead crap in bed is gross...I have this awesome super vacuum, and I will use the hand thing on our mattress. I feel it helps, although I'm sure it really doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please note: the second bed is perfect for George Michael if you decide against the one we saw in F-berg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess GM is going to be living large in the full bed next your your's! He is one lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a very long bolster pillow and body pillow for your guys to add to the big ass bed! You can look through some stuff when you come up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. why Sister got a big bed and never got to sleep comfortably with our dog because a twin bed was too small for the both of us. http://www.memoryfoammattress-guide.org/

    ReplyDelete