Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The First of Many Post's From Last Weekend: Fancy Dresses, Men in Tights, and Igloo Coolers...

This past weekend I made the 8 hour trip to Baton Rouge with LSU Friend, Cupcake, and Lil Blount to attend the Krewe of Artemis’ Madi Gras Ball.



I had absolutely no idea what I had signed up for.

Looking back I’m not quite sure what I was expecting. I mean, I knew there would be beads and green, yellow, purple things, and maybe a mask or two, but nothing like what I walked into on Saturday night. First of all, the Ball had to be held in the Convention Center. Yeah, the Convention Center… because there were 1400 people attending! This was no little gala or large wedding reception, 1400 people is a whole latta sparkly ball gowns and tuxedos.

Secondly, the Ball was BYOB.

Again, the Ball was BYOB.

Well slap my ass, hand me a beer, and call me a Ragin Cajun because whoever thought of this might be a genius. I need you guys to stop for a second and imagine this. 1400 people dressed to the nines. I’m talking full length ball gowns, trains, seriously sparkly jewels, and men in tuxes… fancy, fancy, fancy. Okay now imagine them all dragging coolers behind them as they hand their tickets to doormen to get inside. I really wish I had pictures of this, but I don’t so I’m going to improvise.

It was totally just like this…


Or if you were cheep like us, this… (I should note here that no, we didn’t dance with our plastic bags of vodka and red wine, but this was just a good arm shot to illustrate how we brought our booze.)

This was our table. Any get together that at any time during the night you will find vodka, Red Bull, Zing Zang Bloody mix, wine bought at a CVS, and glasses that light up and change color on the table is a good party in my book.

Another thing, the costumes. Now, I’ve spent a few years in San Antonio where they celebrate Fiesta in the spring. And for years my mother dragged us to all of the crappy parades. (I really need to blog about that.) So, in my mind the Madi Gras costumes would be kinda like the Fiesta dress. This means that somewhere in the back of my mind I was a little prepared for this… Queen Cheryl.


However, I was not prepared for this… King Brett. I can’t decide if he looks like the Disney version of Prince Charming or the Shrek character Lord Farquaad. All jokes aside, I mean he is wearing tights, Brett was amazing, sweet as could be, and milked his night for all it was worth. The only person more excited to be a part of the festivities was Queen Cheryl herself.

Here are a few photos to wrap it up.

Thank you Queen Cheryl and LSU Friend for inviting me to this amazing event. As if y’all couldn’t tell, I had a great time.

Coming soon: LSU Friend giving jazz hands in the car, Cupcake’s obsession with some woman who looked like a “lady of the night”, reactions to Lil Blount’s interesting headgear, and is "coonass" a derogatory word in Louisiana...

2 comments:

  1. My vote goes for Lord Farquaad. Is he wearing heeled pantent leather knee high boots? I think he is. I am so glad you had fun, and I must say, going to Mardi Gras is on my bucket list. I can't wait to hear all the stories. Please tell me you swipped one of those light up glasses; they are AWESOME. And as always, your drawings added so much to this post. Nice to have Lemon Lady back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could want to wear a tiara/crown on a daily basis. So glad you had a great time...love the pics!

    ReplyDelete