Saturday, December 18, 2010

Brought Together By Richard Dreyfuss...

Boyfriend and I have been together for four and a half years. Whenever I tell people this they are surprised and usually a little shocked. Next comes the big question, “Why aren’t y’all married?” First of all, how awkward of a question is that? Who are you to demand to know anything that personal about my relationship?

“Why aren’t y’all married?”

“Because I’m an avid fan of Brad and Angelina and will only marry after they do.”

“Because I have refused the 17 different rings he has proposed with because they aren’t big and sparkly enough.”

“Because I’m allergic to white dresses and large cakes.”

“Because we can’t afford to go on a Honeymoon to the Maldives.”

“Because I’m a nihilist and therefore I don’t believe in anything including marriage.”

How about, “DIVORSE SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF ME AND I WANT TO MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE THAT THIS PERSON IS THE ONE I WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH AND THAT HE WANTS TO SPEND THE REST OF HIS LIFE WITH ME AND WALKING DOWN THE AISLE IN A PRETTY DRESS CAN WAIT UNTIL WE’RE DAMN WELL READY AND IT’S NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!!!”

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, here is reason 5,347,273 that Boyfriend and I are meant to be… (Oh, and it’s not all lovey dovey so please keep reading.)

When Boyfriend and I started dating he made me watch one of his favorite movies he used to watch a lot growing up called Let It Ride. Made in 1989 it stars Richard Dreyfuss as Jay Trotter, a man who on the day he decides to give up gambling forever and really make his marriage work gets a tip on a winning horse at the local race track and then his luck keeps him going all day. It’s really funny and has become one of my favorite movies. The movie script was adapted from Jay Cronley’s book Good Vibes. A few years ago, Boyfriend and I tried to go buy the book and we found out that it has been out of print for years and years, thus making it rare and pretty expensive.

Which brings me to the question, “What to get Boyfriend for Christmas”. Now I know he made a great list, but I wanted to really surprise him and finally buy him the book we always talk about reading, but never actually have, Good Vibes. So, right before Thanksgiving I got online and started looking for the book on various sites. The cheapest one I found was for almost two hundred, so I decided to just keep watching it and maybe it will go down or I can find it somewhere local. A couple weeks later I completely changed my mind about my gift to him and got him something different. End of story… right?

No.

The other day Boyfriend and I were hanging at the house when he turned to me and said, “So, I’m going to tell you what I almost got you for Christmas, but then I didn’t get it for you, so I can tell you now without you getting mad.”

“Okay”

Yeah, he then went on to describe how he wanted to get me the book Good Vibes, but they’ve gotten really expensive and he just can’t spend that much money on one book. Then I got the greatest flash forward scene ever in my head. Picture this, it’s Christmas morning and we’re sitting on my parents couch with Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother in Law, Nephew, and Grandma Texas. There is a fire in the fireplace and the tree is decorated all beautiful and we’re drinking mimosas and there is wrapping paper and gift boxes all over. In our hands are the gifts we are exchanging. At the same time we unwrap them together only to find THE EXACT SAME book. But not something we picked up at Barnes and Nobles. Not a book that is on the best sellers list, but the exact same rare, out of print book we had to hunt for online.

And that is the 5,347,273 reason why I love my boyfriend and I know we will be together forever even if we aren’t married.

3 comments:

  1. This made me both laugh and tear up a little at the same time <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your rant sounds alot like mine about, 'Why don't you have like 20 kids already?'

    ReplyDelete