Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Favorite Wedding Dresses Found By Facebook Stalking...

Yesterday I changed my Facebook status to this, “Over the years Facebook has allowed me to see a lot of ugly wedding dresses and it has allowed me to wonder how parents come up with names for their kiddos”. First of all, I don’t think this is a negative status at all. I love looking through my “friends” wedding pictures. Why? Because I’m not a black hearted bitch. Weddings are happy events. They are full of happy people and (hopefully) yummy food and lots of alcohol. Who doesn’t love a wedding? So, yeah, I don’t care if I only knew you for ten minutes in 7th grade, I will totally Facebook stalk your special day because I like weddings. You know what I like even more… happy people, yummy food, lots of alcohol and PRETTY DRESSES!!!

Here are some of my favorites… (In no particular order… well after the first one.)

First up, my sister… (Photo by Leeann Widyn. Check her out at www.widynphotography.com) I know I’m probably partial to this dress for two good reasons. One, she’s my sister. Two, my extremely talented, amazing, wonderful Grandmother made this dress. My sister is the kind of girl who had been planning her wedding her entire life. She is also the kind of girl who builds things up in her mind and sets very high expectations and then usually the event doesn’t reach those expectations and she is unhappy. (Just ask her about all her middle school dances.) To say the least, my mother was freaking out that her wedding wouldn’t be perfect. But, it was. And the icing on the cake was Sister’s wedding dress. Hand made by Grandma, read the tag on the inside. She had made my mother and my aunt’s wedding dresses and years later out did both of them with Sisters. I love the tulle peaking out at the bottom and the ivory color. I love the crumb catcher up top and the simplicity of the lace. Most of all, I love how absolutely gorgeous my sister looks.

This is my friend Stephanie from Germany… Again, I like this dress for two reasons. One, Stephanie is a huge personality! I feel like she could have gone completely crazy and over the top and fabulous and crazy and OMG, “Is that glitter on the train?” crazy. But she didn’t. Two, I love the cap sleeve detail. They are delicate and the beaded lace is beautiful and just enough to create a little drama and pizzazz.

Here we have middle/ early high school friend, Colette…(Photo by Graddy Photography. Check him out at www.graddyphotography.com 952-649-0525) Colette recently got married and I fell in love with her dress the moment I saw it pop up as a new profile photo. It’s so different and yet very classic. I’m not usually a big fan of the halter top, but I love, love, love the ruffle collar. The rest of the dress is very simple, letting it frame her face beautifully. Plus, look closely and you can see her amazing green shoes.

This is Best Friend…
First of all I was with Best Friend when she first tried on this dress and Best Friend’s Sister and I cried. It’s so… Best Friend, which is funny because I was honestly a little terrified about what she would pick to walk down the aisle in. I mean, we have been friends since she wanted to name her unborn children Denim and Lace. I was half picturing Disney Princesses throwing up tulle and chiffon until it made a dress, and then she walked out of the dressing room in this and I cried. She is so pretty, and it’s perfect for her. It’s flattering and unfussy. It has a big bow (throw back to 7th grade) and pockets (for her chapstick she never leaves home without). Plus, Best Friend’s Husband looks pretty handsome, too.

This is another friend named Stephanie… This one might be my favorite, if I had to pick a favorite and really I can’t because I like them all. Doesn’t she look like a ballerina from a little girl’s jewelry box? I love the ribbon at the waist with the sparkle detail and the rouching of the bodice. And the back… that bow is so cute. No, I’m not really sure why she is in a basketball court, but she looks amazing.

Lastly, Jessica… (I can’t believe I’m about to write nice things about you, you better love me forever after this…) I had to include this dress, because this is practically the dress I’ve always envisioned myself wearing on my wedding day. (Which makes me hate you even more…) It’s simple and sweet. I like the ribbon details that are present, but not crazy over the top. I went and dress shopping with my sister when she was still looking for the perfect dress (before she went to Grandma with fabric and an idea) and she found two dresses at a little boutique that she liked. She put one on and I put on the other so she could look at them side by side. The one I wore, was like the supped up, Scarlet O’Hara version of this dress. I like it in this much simpler, sweet version way better. Kuddos Jessica for looking lovely and crushing my dreams at the same time.

Another post to come soon about the second half of that Facebook post. I mean why would anyone name their kid Emma Olivia? It's like someone from my generation being names Jennifer Jessica.

3 comments:

  1. I tried to explain this to my mom and how you were giving me a compliment. Then I had to explain our relationship. And THEN she questioned my judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And.... is this a good place to say... People!!! I do not need your status update to be that your baby made a poop in the potty.

    Or that they threw up on you.
    Or that they are out of diapers and it is such a MIRACLE!!

    Oh... I forgot. You are the 1st first EVER to have a freaking BABY!

    ReplyDelete