Friday, December 10, 2010

Things That Fascinate Me: Starting With Punching Sharks...

(Just three today. More to come later if you like or if I need a quick post.)

1. Shark Attacks. I know this may sound morbid, but shark attacks fascinate me. Jaws is a real instance where I actually like the movie better than the book. (Have y’all read Jaws, by the way? OMG is Chief Brody’s wife annoying!) What I think is weird about myself is I will watch every show on Discovery about shark attacks and I read every internet article I come across, but going in the ocean doesn’t freak me out or anything. I have learned that if you are being attacked you should punch the shark in the its face or poke it in the eye. Have you guys read about the “Jaws like” situation that is going on in Egypt right now on the coast of the Red Sea? Evidently there is some crazed shark eating Russians and Ukrainians on vaca. Mohammed Shosha, local governor and Mayor Vaughn wannabe, closed the beaches for 48 hours while they hunted and killed two sharks. Then he reopened the Beaches, it is the high season there after all, only to have a German woman killed and eaten in chest deep water! What is really weird about the whole situation is that these very clear Red Sea waters aren’t exactly shark central. I mean it’s not like these Russians went swimming off the coast of South Africa during Great White mating season or something. (Although no knows where or when Great Whites mate.)

2. Deaf People. Have you ever eaten in a restaurant with Deaf people sitting next to you? It’s so freaky quiet, that even the waitress talks in a whisper even though they can’t hear her and she could be screaming the Gettysburg Address at the top of her lungs. Then I always think that I should be able to understand sign language because of its basic concept. I mean if I were making up the sign for bellybutton, I would just point to my bellybutton. But I don’t think that’s right because then the people sitting next to me the other day at Fire Bowl would have been talking about fired rice, dolphins (they made wave motions), and bellybuttons. Also, Wesley, my first college roommate who went to a private high school, played football against the Texas School for the Deaf. He said it was the weirdest experience ever because when they would do some well or score the entire field was deafly (oh, haha) quiet. No cheering at all. Instead that would shake their hands back in forth real fast.

3. Dinosaurs. I love Jurassic Park and The Lost World. I took Dinosaur Class in college (science classes for non majors are awesome). I was a dinosaur for Halloween. Dinosaurs scare the crap out of me! First of all, I am a VERY vivid dreamer. (Yes, I am my mother’s child) I don’t have nightmares about scary men or falling or Boyfriend leaving me. I have nightmares about dinosaurs. Seriously. 95% of my scary dreams involve T Rex or Velociraptors. Usually I am stuck in a place where dinosaurs have gotten loose, like a mall or school. I know this sounds silly. I know having dreams about big ‘ol T Rex coming to get you sound ridiculous and funny, but they are scary as shit when I’m dreaming them. People die in these dreams. I see friends and family being ripped apart. I hide in pipes and under tables praying the raptors can’t smell me. The thing is, I have the dreams more often when I’m rereading Jurassic Park, but I still keep rereading the book. I don’t care if I’m scared to fall asleep, I love it too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment