Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Normal Night with Boyfriend, Golf Balls, and Crab...

There are some days when you just don’t feel like being funny. This is one of them. I’m not sad. I’m not depressed, nor am I suicidal. I’m trying to not let the fact that I’m not updating my blog everyday get to me. One of my favorite blogs, StyleRookie, wrote in a post yesterday that she always tells herself when blogging becomes a chore or homework (as this fashionista is only 15) she will stop writing all together. I don’t want this to become a chore. I started this blog as a creative outlook for myself and that is what I need to keep reminding myself. Sometimes I sic myself out of writing something because I don’t know if it will go over well or if I’ll get a lot of comments. I need to remember this is for me.

Yesterday I did something crazy. I left work before 7PM. Boyfriend got home very early and I just couldn’t stay in that office another minute. I packed up and left at… (gasp) 6:30! There was even a little bit of left over rush hour traffic on the highway. I felt like a normal person, with (almost) normal work hours. When I got home, Boyfriend and I spent thirty minutes unwrapping our laundry. Sounds weird right? Well, we don’t have a working washer and for the past three weeks we have been unable to drag ourselves to the laundry mat. This means we literally had a mountain of laundry and had to go out and buy more underwear. Boyfriend gave into the dirty clothes God and took our laundry to be done at our local laundry mat, Anthony’s. Just like everything else in central Austin the price was astronomical, but they wrap your clean clothes in paper. Christmas in October! No we didn’t bust out the tree, but it would have helped the ambiance.

After opening our clean clothes we went to the driving range and hit gold balls. The weather has been gorgeous for the past week and yesterday was no exception. I had on jeans and a little, white T and I had goose bumps by the time we got to the bottom of our buckets. I like going to the Driving Range because I am horrible at hitting the ball. Boyfriend is nice and tries to give me tips, but I actually like it that I have no idea what I am doing. I like having no skill because it means I have nothing to live up to. My swing is horrible. Sometimes I miss the ball completely. Sometimes I take a chuck out of the ground. But sometimes, if I concentrate real hard, I not only hit the ball, but it flies into the air and goes straight. When that small yellow ball does what I picture it should do in my mind, it’s awesome. And I did it all by myself. I figured it out, I reasoned it all in my own head.

Once our buckets were empty and our flip flops back on (the one tip I did take from Boyfriend, always hit balls barefoot – you look way cooler) we drove to Whole Earth Provisions and Central Market. At Whole Earth I got a new journal. I’m excited to start another and finish it as well. Then start another. Then another. At Central Market we picked up crab legs, a filet for Boyfriend, soup, salad, and chocolate. At home with the windows open, we cooked the crab, then ate. Then warmed the soup and ate. Then mixed the salad and ate. Then made the filet and ate. For dessert we had the chocolate. It was wonderful. It was yummy. It was relaxing and perfect. There are just some nights in you can’t remake or outdo on the town. As much as I love Perlas and La Condesa, it doesn’t top crab, salad, and steak at home on the couch while watching The Bachelor Party. (Kevin’s favorite Tom Hank’s movie)

So that’s it. Nothing crazy happened. We didn’t run into any wild and ridiculous people. I didn’t embarrass myself in public in anyway. Well except for those gold swings when I didn’t hit the ball. Sorry I’m not being funny, I just wanted to share a wonderful evening with y’all.

On a more somber note… My dad had surgery today. My sister pretty much summed how I felt up in a text to me this morning.

“I am NOT ok with our parents getting old and hurt.”

I completely agree with this.

He is recovering and should be fine.

I hope so.

3 comments:

  1. It terrifies me to think about our parents getting older!! Hope everything went well with your dad's surgery! And I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who goes and takes a whack at a golf ball :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post E! Being young and single is great, meeting all sorts of crazy random people. But I love my life, even if it that of an 'married' lady. Coming home to bf, making a great dinner together, doing our laundry while watching survivor and petting the puppy. Those quiet, boring nights are magical; grownup, quiet, and the only thing that makes my crappy job bearable. I'm glad you had such a good night. Don't worry about being 'on' when you write. Write whatever you feel like, and those that love you will love it, and those that expect to snort soda every time they read your blog-let them watch the daily show instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you and bf have each other...it makes me smile inside. Nothing in life will make you more sad then when you have to go to the courthouse to get your mom a handicap sticker...I have major reality going on here. Last night she thought she had gallstone issues, and after 30 minutes on WebMD gave up on me being an MD. Oh well...

    Also, I love unwrapping the laundry...I used to have that done in Big D and the Windy City...as I too lacked the washer. Plus the Asian ladies folded my panties like oragami...Love it!

    ReplyDelete