Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vogue's Best Dressed 2010!!!

I’ve been on a little bit of a fashion kick recently, ever since the Carrie Underwood at the CMAs post. So, if you’re more into me accidentally kicking people in the face or stuffing my mouth with breakfast tacos, my apologies and I promise a funny embarrassing story soon. For everyone else that likes fashion, you’re welcome. For those who are just here because my sister told you or Google brought you here after searching “ANTM, dumbass, ugly dresses” (real search that brought visitors, okay singular visitor, to my blog) stay, look around, read, follow, comment, love…

Moving on…

Vogue Magazine announced its annual list of best dressed this week with Kate Moss being crowned “Best Dressed of the Decade”. I think I could write a whole post about just Kate and her new title, but what fun would that be? Let’s trash, I mean talk about them all.

Kate Moss – Best of the Decade

There is no denying that Kate Moss changed the fashion world in the 1990s, with her tiny frame, short stature, and “heroin chic” new look. But that was the 20th century and here she is being called the best of the first decade in the 21st century. I think Kate got here by being truly stylish which means she has her good days and her bad days. Any star can do classic. As, sad as it is to say, dressing like Grace Kelly on the red carpet isn’t hard. All one needs is a black strapless gown, some fancy smancy jewels, and a nice French twist. To be stylish you must take risks. (Do y’all remember a few years ago when she only wore jumpsuits?) Here we have one of my favorite red carpet looks.
I love this night look because this is only a dress and look, as a whole, that a model could pull off. Actresses and normal people can’t go to galas like this dressed as a Golden Grecian Goddess, it would come off as way to costume-y. Models can do whatever the hell they please and just file it under them being a muse for some crazy Greek loving designer. I’m pretty sure Sandra Bullock pointed to this look last year for the Acadamy Awards and said, “Yes, just like Kate I want to be a golden Goddess!” Then some very nice assistant sat Sandy down and said, “Sandy, you are not a model. You cannot pull off a gold headdress, but here look at this nice Marchesa instead.”

Here is the rest of the list…

The Bombshell: Blake Lively
Screen Siren: Marion Cotillard
The Independent: Michelle Obama
American Beauty: Jessica Biel
Street Cool: Alexa Chung
Haute Bohemian: Sarah Jessica Parker
Conscious Chic: Liya Kebede
Free Spirit: Carey Mulligan
New Classicist: Shala Monroque
The Visionary: Lady Gaga

Blake Lively – The Bombshell

Supposedly Blake is in movies or is making movies so she does more than just play dumb, blonde Serena on Gossip Girl. Actually, Blake’s boobs do more of the acting according to NYMag.com. (Seriously check this awesome slideshow out. It’s hilarious.) But, she did wear this dress to the 2009 Emmys and you can’t argue this girl does “sexy” well. I mean how many time do we, as women, here “do boobs or legs, never both” well Lively says F that and does both and looks freaking gorgeous! If this is what modern bombshell looks like, then sign me up because I either want to be her or date her.

Marion Cotillard – Screen Siren

What is funny about Marion Cotillard being called a “Screen Siren” is isn’t a “Screen Siren” just a “bombshell” with dark hair? Bombshell = blonde. Siren = brunette. I think they put screen in front to show that Marion is a real movie actress, where as Blake Lively is just getting started in movies. Okay moving on to the fashion. There is no denying that Marion Cotillard is beautiful. Plus she’s French so that puts her up like 10 notches on the hot radar. I think because she is French she is interesting to Americans. American actresses have almost all started to look alike. They all know what designers and what styles will get them in the Best Dressed category of US Weekly so they all wear some version of the same Carolina Hererra dress thus playing it extremely safe.

Cotillard takes chances. I know I was in the minority but I loved her 2008 Oscar dress by Gaultier. I don’t care if she looked like a mermaid, she looked amazing and there is no way an American Starlet would have even tried to pull of this dress, let alone succeeded. Love it.

Michelle Obama – The Independent

Again, I’m not quite sure about the title, but I do agree Michelle Obama should be on this list. It has defiantly been refreshing to see a first lady in something other than pantsuits and matching skirts and jackets. Although, let’s not kid ourselves, Mrs. Obama has stylists, she keeps what looks best on her and then sometimes, like at a State Dinner in 2010, she does something like this and the whole country skips a breath.

I would argue that Michelle Obama is the best example we have in 2010 of a woman that isn’t a size 2 or 0 that truly wears flattering clothes for her body type. Here she is in a great teal Jason Wo dress accessorizing with cute yellow flats and fun bangles. Right now anything in Washington that makes you smile is a good thing, even if it is Michelle Obama’s outfits.

Jessica Biel – American Beauty

Right… So this is the only one that I just don’t understand. Don’t get me wrong, Jessica is very pretty, but “American Beauty” pretty… I just don’t know about that. I mean we’re talking about the girl from 7th Heaven and Stealth for crying out loud! Again, very pretty girl, but I feel like she is in that group of actresses that I was talking about earlier, they all have the “how to look like a movie star and get on the best dressed list” down pat. I don’t feel like she has really ever taken any chances in fashion… But that’s just me and she is sleeping with Justin Timberlake so this could just be the 14 year old girl in me being jealous.

Alexa Chung – Street Cool

Alexa Chung is the cool hipster model who had a MTV show. Rad. She modeled as a young teenager and then quit because the industry gave her body issues and such, but came back (out of retirement?) after being on TV. She’s a beautiful girl, who actually seems to be having fun in life, which I like. And, if you ever wanted to be stopped on the street by a fashion blogger and asked about your outfit I feel like all you have to do is dress exactly like Alexa Chung, or you can just buy her collection at Madewell. She likes skulls and Chanel Bags. Isn’t that nice, y’all?

Sarah Jessica Parker - Haute Bohemian

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah… Where do you start with Sarah Jessica Parker? Do I go straight for a horse face joke or ease into it with a slutty Samantha wise crack? No, no just kidding SJP. I don’t know if bohemian is the right adjective to describe our little former Carrie, but she is an actress that likes to play dress up in the big girl dress up box, meaning the world of Haute Couture. And, man, does she like to dress up…

The Good…(Chanel Couture)
The Bad…at least for her boobs(Dior Couture)
The Ugly…(again, Chanel Couture)

Conscious Chic - Liya Kebede

Conscious Chic??? WFT Anna? Liya Kebede is a freaking Goddess! She should be Vogue’s “Most Beautiful, Best Eyes, Can Someone Skin Her And Then Weave Her Into A Dress So We Can All Feel Good About Ourselves… Chic”. I’ve tried to use all real life photos in this post instead of magazine shots that have been styled and airbrushed and such, but here she is in Vogue. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G

And her she is with her adorable daughter.

Carey Mulligan – Free Spirit

Carey Mulligan is having a great week. First she got casted as Daisy in Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gastsby, and then Vogue puts her in their best dressed 2010 list. Good week I’d say. Again, these titles are killing me. I wish Vogue had just said Best Dressed and moved on. Because what really makes Carey Mulligan a Free Spirit? Maybe it’s because she has short hair. Yeah, it must be the hair. Carey Mulligan always looks like she’s got a secret and that secret is, “OMG I can’t believe I’m here with all these famous people in such nice clothes and I’m not being kicked out” and I love her for this. I feel like she really enjoys the attention her fashion brings her and I hope she doesn’t lose that as she becomes more and more popular here in the states. A little Mia Farrow and a little Michelle Williams (post Dawson) never hurt anyone either.

Here is Carey in Prada at the 2010 Oscars. As if celebrating her adorable pixie hair cut her dress is covered with little scissors.


Shala Monroque - New Classicist

For y’all who don’t know (and I totally didn’t know until I just Googled her) Shala Monroque is the editor at large of Pop Magazine. Girl has defiantly got it on in calf length dresses, pops of color on her amazing skin, and killer shoes. Like killer shoes. Killer Prada shoes…

She arrives on the red carpet on the arms of designers, yet puts her own twist on their dresses. (Class, example Monroque and Jason Wo here.)

But it’s her day wear as a working women who earned her this honor on Vogue’s list.

Lady Gaga – The Visionary

Need I say more…
Now Anna, GIVE THIS WOMAN A COVER!!!

4 comments:

  1. Kate-She always wears what she wants and not what will get her on the best dressed list. Gotta love that. The fact that she finally seems to have started eating instead of just doing lines, hence losing the heroin chic look=awesome.
    Blake-I'm not a fan of her 'style'. She just seems to try to hard to be sexy. I like the sexy without trying too hard look, like Diane Kruger. She just seems to causally throw clothes on and is always sexy and stunning.
    Marion-I love her style, and the Gaultier dress. I am convinced all French school girls secretly go to classes to learn how to always dress stunningly, even if just going to get a cafe. Must find classes and enroll. I still run to the grocery store in my Old Navy pj's.
    Michelle-she does have great style for a first lady.
    Jessica-Not really feeling her look, I feel she always plays it safe. I know Lemon Lady isn't a fan, but I think Sandra Bullock is the ultimate American girl next door.
    Alexa-amazing cool girl from across the pond. She has the outlook of I-don't-care-if-you-like-it-I'm-wearing-it. Very cool. English actresses can dress. They have that individual style of mix mash that works so well. As an American I am missing this gene.
    SJP-I often want to tear her clothes off her and wear them. Then I realize I could never pull her looks off. She takes chances, and really, really appreciates clothes. I love that about her.
    Liya Kebede-Never heard of her, but she is STUNNING.
    Carey-STUNNING. I know I just used this word, but I feel like it is appropriate for both ladies.
    Shala Monroque-Girl really likes brights, and pulls them off well, not in a garish way at all.
    Lady Gaga-I have to admit, I am amazed by the orbit dress. I have loved it since she wore it. Gotta love McQueen. You should start a petition to get her on the cover.

    And I ADORE your fashion posts. But the kicking a doctor in the face one is my all time fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign me up for those kind of French Classes... and I thought Lady Gaga's orbit dress was Armani Prive but I could just be making that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google says you're right. I could so see this being a McQueen though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please seek a personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, the Son of God. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

    ReplyDelete